|<< Matthew 28 >>|
Scofield Reference Notes (1917 Edition)
1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
 In the end of the Sabbath
The order of events, combining the four narratives, is as follows: Three women, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and Salome, start for the sepulchre, followed by other women bearing spices. The three find the stone rolled away, and Mary Magdalene goes to tell the disciples. Lk 23:55-24:9 Jn 20:1,2. Mary, the mother of James and Joses, draws nearer the tomb and sees the angel of the Lord Mt 28:2. She goes back to meet the other women following with the spices. Meanwhile Peter and John, warned by Mary Magdalene, arrive, look in, and go away Jn 20:3-10. Mary Magdalene returns weeping, sees the two angels and then Jesus Jn 20:11-18 and goes as He bade her to tell the disciples. Mary (mother of James and Joses), meanwhile, has met the women with the spices and, returning with them, they see the two angels. Lk 24:4,5 Mk 16:5. They also receive the angelic message, and, going to seek the disciples, are met by Jesus. Mt 28:8-10.
Margin end of
Lit. end of the sabbaths. The sabbaths end, the first day comes. See Scofield Note: "Mt 12:1". Also see, Jn 20:19 Acts 20:7 1Cor 16:2 Rev 1:10.
Margin other Mary
Supposed to be Mary the mother of James and Joses.
2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
Margin the angel
an angel etc. See Scofield Note: "Heb 1:4".
3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
See Scofield Note: "Heb 1:4"
6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.
8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.
9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
The order of our Lord's appearances would seem to be: On the day of his resurrection:
(1) To Mary Magdalene Jn 10:14-18.
(2) To the women returning from the tomb with angelic message Mt 28:8-10.
(3) To Peter, probably in the afternoon Lk 24:34 1Cor 15:5.
(4) To the Emmaus disciples toward evening Lk 24:13-31.
(5) To the apostles, except Thomas Lk 24:36-43 Jn 20:19-24. Eight days afterward:
(1) to the apostles, Thomas being present Jn 20:24-29. In Galilee: (1a) To the seven by the Lake of Tiberias Jn 21:1-23.
(2) On a mountain, to the apostles and five hundred brethren 1Cor 15:6. At Jerusalem and Bethany again:
(1) To James 1Cor 15:7.
(2) To the eleven Mt 28:16-20 Mk 16:14-20 Lk 24:33-53 Acts 1:3-12.
(1) Near Damascus Acts 9:3-6 1Cor 15:8
(2) In the temple Acts 22:17-21 23:11.
To Stephen outside Jerusalem Acts 7:55.
To John on Patmos Rev 1:10-19.
10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.
11 Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.
12 And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers,
13 Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept.
14 And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you.
15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.
16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
With the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ begins the "dispensation of the grace of God" Eph 3:2, which is defined as "his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus"; and, "the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast." Eph 2:7-9, under grace God freely gives to the believing sinner eternal life Rom 6:23 accounts to him a perfect righteousness Rom 3:21,22 4:4,5 and accords to him a perfect position Eph 1:6
The predicted results of this sixth testing of man are
(1) the salvation of all who believe Acts 16:31.
(2) judgment upon an unbelieving world and an apostate church. Mt 25:31-46 2Th 1:7-10 1Pet 4:17,18 Rev 3:15,16.
(1) Man's state at the beginning of the dispensation of Grace Rom 3:19 Gal 3:22 Eph 2:11,12.
(2) Man's responsibility under grace Jn 1:11,12 3:36 6:28,29.
(3) His predicted failure Mt 24:37-39 Lk 18:8 19:12-14.
(4) The judgment 2Th 2:7-12.
The word is in the singular, the "name," not names. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is the final name of the one true God. It affirms:
(1) That God is one.
(2) That He subsists in a personality which is threefold, indicated by relationship as Father and Son; by a mode of being as Spirit; and by the different parts taken by the Godhead in manifestation and in the work of redemption, e.g. Jn 3:5,6, (Spirit), Jn 3:16,17 (Father and Son). In Mt 3:16,17 Mk 1:10,11 Lk 3:21,22 the three persons are in manifestation together.
(3) The conjunction in one name of the Three affirms equality and oneness of substance. See O.T. Names of God:
See Scofield Note: "Gen 1:1" See Scofield Note: "Gen 2:4" See Scofield Note: "Gen 14:18" See Scofield Note: "Gen 15:2" See Scofield Note: "Gen 17:1" See Scofield Note: "Gen 21:33" See Scofield Note: "1Sam 1:3"
The next reference, Mal 3.18, provides a Summary
See Scofield Note: "Mal 3:18"
See "Lord" See Scofield Note: "Mt 8:2"
"Word" (Logos), See Scofield Note: "Jn 1:1" "Holy Spirit," See Scofield Note: "Acts 2:4" See "Christ, Deity of," See Scofield Note: "Jn 20:28"
Or, disciple. See Mk 16:15,16 Lk 24:47,48 Acts 1:8.
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Margin end of the world
consummation of the age.